ROSARY HILL HOME

"We cannot cure our patients, but we can assure the dignity and value of their final days, and keep them comfortable and free of pain."

 

Rose Hawthorne

(Mother Mary Alphonsa, O.P.)

Foundress

Rosary Hill Home, owned and operated by the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne since 1901, is committed to providing loving, one-on-one palliative care to those suffering from terminal cancer.  The Sisters and staff strive to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and recreational needs of the patients.

 

The Home is free to all who meet the Admission requirements; there is no discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, or handicap.  In fidelity to their rule of life, the Sisters depend solely upon the "providence of God and the hourly mercy of the charitable public;" no payment is accepted from patients, their families, private insurance, or from the government.

Brief History: Rosary Hill Home was founded June 1, 1901, by Mother Mary Alphonsa Lathrop (Rose Hawthorne, daughter of American novelist, Nathaniel Hawthorne). Mother Alphonsa's ministry to cancer victims began in 1896, when she welcomed patients into her own apartment on the Lower East Side of New York City. As other women joined her, the work grew and continues to this day in the hills of Westchester County.
ROSARY HILL HOME
Brief History: Rosary Hill Home was founded June 1, 1901, by Mother Mary Alphonsa Lathrop (Rose Hawthorne, daughter of American novelist, Nathaniel Hawthorne). Mother Alphonsa's ministry to cancer victims began in 1896, when she welcomed patients into her own apartment on the Lower East Side of New York City. As other women joined her, the work grew and continues to this day in the hills of Westchester County.